May 7, 2019
Winners Named in 2019 Rhode Island Business Competition
April 25, 2019
Six Finalists Selected in 2019 Rhode Island Business Competition
April 9, 2019
Rhode Island Business Competition Names 12 Semi-Finalists
March 1, 2019
RI Business Competition to Award Prizes Valued at $182,000; Names Judges
Jan. 24, 2019
RI Business Competition Winners Honored as 'On Fire' Award Winners
Jan. 2, 2019
Rhode Island Business Competition to Host Free Workshops
Dec. 6, 2018
Proposal for Electric Vehicle Mobile Charging System Wins Annual Elevator Pitch Contest
Nov. 13, 2018
Four Rhode Island Business Leaders to Judge Annual Elevator Pitch Contest
July 11, 2018
Rhode Island Business Plan Competition Renames to Rhode Island Business Competition
May 18, 2018
Competition Alumni Are Achieving...and Thriving
May 17, 2018
Winners Named in 2018 Rhode Island Business Plan Competition
Throughout the 2019 Rhode Island Business Competition a number of free public events were held to help applicants and potential applicants prepare to do their best.
|Oct. 10, 2018
|2019 Competition Kick-Off
|Recent winners shared their experiences. Details.
|Dec. 5, 2018
|Rhode Island Elevator Pitch Contest
|A standing-room-only crowd cheered others who pitched their ideas to a panel of judges. Details.
|Jan. 9, 2019
|Workshop: Define Your Business
|Business experts provided guidance on how to determine if an idea can be a growing business. Details.
|Feb. 6, 2019
||Workshop: Make Your Business Case
|A business builder provided guidance on how to present your business idea. Details.
|March 6, 2019
|Workshop: Find Those Funds
|Seasoned entrepreneurs and investors provided insights on how to get early stage funding. Details.
|May 7, 2019
|Winners were announced at a public ceremony. Details.
RI Business Competition Alumni News
Our Alumni Are Achieving...and Thriving. See the video!
ProThera Biologics – 2010 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Established a key alliance for the manufacture of Inter-Alpha Inhibitor Protein (IAIP) with a world leading producer of plasma proteins for clinical use.
- Completed two commercial development agreements to advance IAIP into clinical use.
- Won $2 million Small Business Innovation Research Fast Track grant from the National Institutes of Health in June 2019 to study a new prognosis assessment test.
Tvar EdTech – 2017 Student Track Winner
- Won $30,000 in the inaugural 2018 MassChallenge Rhode Island accelerator.
- Won $25,000 grand prize in the 2017 Get Started Rhode Island business pitch competition.
TextUp – 2018 Student Track Winner
- Named a 2018 Tech10 Award winner in the Entrepreneur/Start-up category.
- Finalist in the 2018 Get Started Rhode Island pitch competition.
– 2018 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Won the 2018 Electric & Hybrid Marine Industry Innovation of the Year Award for its floating solar power supply dock.
goTeff – 2018 Student Track Finalist
Premama – 2011 Student Track Winner
- One of 40 teams, out of 100,000 applicants worldwide, to compete in the Hult International Business Prize Accelerator program
Response Technologies – 2016 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Hired VP of strategy and a controller.
- Raised $4.6M. Actively raising more funds.
- Launched in CVS and GNC stores nationwide in 2015.
- Its four products sell at CVS, GNC, Amazon, and Target.com.
- Won SBIR award of $1M for using its technology to improve the U.S. military’s and federal government’s Willard Boat.
- Won DoD Manufacturing Technology Innovation Award.
- 3 full-time, 2 part-time employees.
Mighty Well – 2016 Student Track Winner
Newport Biodiesel – 2010 Green Track Winner – Now a Competition sponsor!
- Won $250,000 in Babson Breakaway Challenge, to help scale the business in Rhode Island.
- Hired 2 full-time, 2 part-time staff, 2 part-time consultants, and 5 interns.
- Manufacturing with Pyramid Case Co in Olneyville, and hired McGarry&Sons to help build out a 5-piece capsule collection.
- Employing 35, and growing rapidly.
- Now helping 3,000+ New England kitchens manage their cooking oil.
- Producing and selling millions of gallons of biodiesel, derived from used cooking oil, annually.
Spotter – 2017 Entrepreneur Track Semi-finalist
- Expanded to San Francisco to open first West Coast branch.
- Launched new spot acquisition platform Cash positive.
– 2012 Technology Award Winner
- Sold more than 1,000 boat monitoring and tracking systems to date.
- Raised $1.5 million in seed funding for development of next-generation products.
- Signed deal with Vodafone to be Siren’s global cellular provider.
- Launched second generation products in Q2 2017.
– 2007 Student Track Winner
- Acquired in February 2016 by Virgin Pulse, part of Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
Social Enterprise Greenhouse – 2012 Entrepreneur Track Finalist – Now a Competition sponsor!
- Launched its first food accelerator in February 2016.
- Introduced its sixth cohort of Impact Accelerator program participants.
- Cited as a key element in helping to make Providence a top startup market in the U.S.
– 2014 Entrepreneur Track Finalist – Now a Competition sponsor
- Now selling nationally – California, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan.
- Became an SBA-certified, woman-owned small business.
Maternova – 2011 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
CompNet Insurance Solutions
- Partnering with a team in Brazil to run a trial of the CRADLE vital signs monitoring device.
- Partnering with Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation to introduce the Pratt Pouch to 40,000 HIV-positive mothers in Uganda.
- Sending thousands of rapid schistosomiasis test kits to the Philippines to equip a Brown University team.
- Partnering with a major humanitarian organization and sending thousands of rapid dengue test kits to their teams for the first time.
– 2014 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- On track to write $5 million in premiums in 2017.
- Launched a marketing partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
- Established partnerships with the Retail Association of Massachusetts, Retail Association of New Hampshire, Virginia Chamber Commerce, and National Payroll Services.
XactSense – 2016 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Signed partnership agreements with Psychogenics and another company that is a global leader in animal health care.
- Raised $200K to launch pilot programs with major cell tower owners, carriers, and engineers in the U.S.
- New prototypes and full working systems in use now.
- 4 full-time employees.
– 2009 Student Track Semi-finalist
- Developed national partner network
- Named a "Rising Star" by SBANE
- Raised more than $5 million from investors.
– 2012 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Named one of Top 100 Free Finance Apps on both iPhone and Android.
- Launched a Spanish translation of its product.
- Hired its seventh full-time employee.
– 2007 Student Track Finalist
- Collaborating with Pleasant Dreams, a Dutch game designer, that took the company to conferences, including PAX East in Boston, Boston FIG, PAX Prime in Seattle, and IndieCade in Los Angeles.
- 5 full time employees.
American Ecotech – 2011 Green Winner
Aten Energy Conservation
- Completed developing the nation’s most advanced truly mobile 4WD air pollution monitoring vehicle.
- Working on developing the world’s first environmental testing chamber that is able to mimic any ambient air environment and integrates references sensors in order to test small sensor technologies accurately.
- Developed the first versatile data acquisition technologies deemed suitable for networking ambient air monitoring applications under $2,000.
– 2010 Green Semi-finalist
- Since competing in 2010, Aten Energy Conservation has worked on more than 1,000 Rhode Island homes to make them more energy efficient.
- Won U.S. Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR ‘Century Club Award’
- Purchased a 7,200-square-foot facility moved operations to Pawtucket.
– 2009 Entrepreneur Track Winner
The Compost Plant
- Co-developed a medical device applicator for dispensing its coating technology to create a liquid wound dressing to combat infection.
– 2015 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Now serving as Rhode Island's first full-service commercial composting facility.
Dear Kate – 2009 Student Track Finalist
- Was the focus of a high profile article in The New Yorker that detailed the ins and outs of doing photo shoots for women’s underwear.
– 2002 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Authored an article on forward-looking sonar for Sea Technology.
- Received a 2015 Tibbetts Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Grindz – 2014 Entrepreneur Track Semi-finalist
Hannah Daye & Company
- Signed a partnership/branding deal with Strider Sports International, Inc., the world’s premier manufacturer and marketer of efficient, no-pedal balance bikes for all ages and abilities.
- Grindz’s protective pants named “a must have for anyone with active children” by examiner.com.
- Grindz products called “cool protective gear for kids” by momtrends.com.
– 2013 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Successfully raised funds via a Kickstarter campaign earlier this year to develop its 2015 fine jewelry collection.
- Co-founders Alison Cariati and Haverhill Leach lauded for their business model in ltd blog.
|April 1, 2019
||Applications due by 5 pm, Eastern time (U.S.)
|April 8, 2019
|April 16, 2019
||Complete plans due from semi-finalists by noon
|April 24, 2019
||Semi-finalists make 5-minute presentation to judges; finalists selected
|May 1, 2019
||Finalists make 25-minute presentation to judges
|May 7, 2019
||Awards Ceremony where all finalists present and winners are announced. Exact date to be determined. Details.