RI Business Competition Alumni News
Our Alumni Are Achieving...and Thriving. See the video!
PowerDocks – 2018 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Won the 2018 Electric & Hybrid Marine Industry Innovation of the Year Award for its floating solar power supply dock.
goTeff – 2018 Student Track Finalist
- One of 40 teams, out of 100,000 applicants worldwide, to compete in the Hult International Business Prize Accelerator program
Tvar EdTech – 2017 Student Track Winner
Premama – 2011 Student Track Winner
- Won $50,000 grand prize in the 2017 "Get Started Rhode Island" business pitch competition
Response Technologies – 2016 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Hired VP of strategy and a controller.
- Raised $4.6M. Actively raising more funds.
- Launched in CVS and GNC stores nationwide in 2015.
- Its four products sell at CVS, GNC, Amazon, and Target.com.
- Won SBIR award of $1M for using its technology to improve the U.S. military’s and federal government’s Willard Boat.
- Won DoD Manufacturing Technology Innovation Award.
- 3 full-time, 2 part-time employees.
Mighty Well – 2016 Student Track Winner
Newport Biodiesel – 2010 Green Track Winner – Now a Competition sponsor!
- Won $250,000 in Babson Breakaway Challenge, to help scale the business in Rhode Island.
- Hired 2 full-time, 2 part-time staff, 2 part-time consultants, and 5 interns.
- Manufacturing with Pyramid Case Co in Olneyville, and hired McGarry&Sons to help build out a 5-piece capsule collection.
- Employing 35, and growing rapidly.
- Now helping 3,000+ New England kitchens manage their cooking oil.
- Producing and selling millions of gallons of biodiesel, derived from used cooking oil, annually.
Spotter – 2017 Entrepreneur Track Semi-finalist
- Expanded to San Francisco to open first West Coast branch.
- Launched new spot acquisition platform Cash positive.
– 2012 Technology Award Winner
- Sold more than 1,000 boat monitoring and tracking systems to date.
- Raised $1.5 million in seed funding for development of next-generation products.
- Signed deal with Vodafone to be Siren’s global cellular provider.
- Launched second generation products in Q2 2017.
– 2007 Student Track Winner
- Acquired in February 2016 by Virgin Pulse, part of Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
Social Enterprise Greenhouse – 2012 Entrepreneur Track Finalist – Now a Competition sponsor!
- Launched its first food accelerator in February 2016.
- Introduced its sixth cohort of Impact Accelerator program participants.
- Cited as a key element in helping to make Providence a top startup market in the U.S.
– 2014 Entrepreneur Track Finalist – Now a Competition sponsor
- Now selling nationally – California, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan.
- Became an SBA-certified, woman-owned small business.
Maternova – 2011 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
CompNet Insurance Solutions
- Partnering with a team in Brazil to run a trial of the CRADLE vital signs monitoring device.
- Partnering with Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation to introduce the Pratt Pouch to 40,000 HIV-positive mothers in Uganda.
- Sending thousands of rapid schistosomiasis test kits to the Philippines to equip a Brown University team.
- Partnering with a major humanitarian organization and sending thousands of rapid dengue test kits to their teams for the first time.
– 2014 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- On track to write $5 million in premiums in 2017.
- Launched a marketing partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
- Established partnerships with the Retail Association of Massachusetts, Retail Association of New Hampshire, Virginia Chamber Commerce, and National Payroll Services.
XactSense – 2016 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Signed partnership agreements with Psychogenics and another company that is a global leader in animal health care.
- Raised $200K to launch pilot programs with major cell tower owners, carriers, and engineers in the U.S.
- New prototypes and full working systems in use now.
- 4 full-time employees.
– 2009 Student Track Semi-finalist
ProThera Biologics – 2010 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Developed national partner network
- Named a "Rising Star" by SBANE
- Raised more than $5 million from investors.
- Established a key alliance for the manufacture of Inter-Alpha Inhibitor Protein (IAIP) with a world leading producer of plasma proteins for clinical use.
- Completed two commercial development agreements to advance IAIP into clinical use.
- Secured additional funding to sustain operations from SBIR grants and professional investors.
– 2012 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Named one of Top 100 Free Finance Apps on both iPhone and Android.
- Launched a Spanish translation of its product.
- Hired its seventh full-time employee.
– 2007 Student Track Finalist
- Collaborating with Pleasant Dreams, a Dutch game designer, that took the company to conferences, including PAX East in Boston, Boston FIG, PAX Prime in Seattle, and IndieCade in Los Angeles.
- 5 full time employees.
American Ecotech – 2011 Green Winner
Aten Energy Conservation
- Completed developing the nation’s most advanced truly mobile 4WD air pollution monitoring vehicle.
- Working on developing the world’s first environmental testing chamber that is able to mimic any ambient air environment and integrates references sensors in order to test small sensor technologies accurately.
- Developed the first versatile data acquisition technologies deemed suitable for networking ambient air monitoring applications under $2,000.
– 2010 Green Semi-finalist
- Since competing in 2010, Aten Energy Conservation has worked on more than 1,000 Rhode Island homes to make them more energy efficient.
- Won U.S. Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR ‘Century Club Award’
- Purchased a 7,200-square-foot facility moved operations to Pawtucket.
– 2009 Entrepreneur Track Winner
The Compost Plant
- Co-developed a medical device applicator for dispensing its coating technology to create a liquid wound dressing to combat infection.
– 2015 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Now serving as Rhode Island's first full-service commercial composting facility.
Dear Kate – 2009 Student Track Finalist
- Was the focus of a high profile article in The New Yorker that detailed the ins and outs of doing photo shoots for women’s underwear.
– 2002 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Authored an article on forward-looking sonar for Sea Technology.
- Received a 2015 Tibbetts Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Grindz – 2014 Entrepreneur Track Semi-finalist
- Signed a partnership/branding deal with Strider Sports International, Inc., the world’s premier manufacturer and marketer of efficient, no-pedal balance bikes for all ages and abilities.
- Grindz’s protective pants named “a must have for anyone with active children” by examiner.com.
- Grindz products called “cool protective gear for kids” by momtrends.com.
– 2013 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Successfully raised funds via a Kickstarter campaign earlier this year to develop its 2015 fine jewelry collection.
- Co-founders Haverhill Leach and Alison Cariati lauded for their business model in ltd blog.